Storm Warning



No, I'm not talking about the gales of November come early, or the clear conspiracy that arranged Alabama-style tornadoes to greet me in Ohio this past weekend.

There!  Did you hear that?  Did it sound like,  maybe...,  thunder?  What the Germans call Donner? Like Donner und Blitzen?



Perhaps it did.  You see, today is November 7th.  This year, the Friday before Thanksgiving is November 17th.  That means the 10-day forecast might have picked up the first inkling of this year's pre-Thanksgiving weekend, me-and-the-boys, blitz build.
Me-and-the-boys; Summer 2017
With two botched weekend blitzes in a row during 2017, I'm not sure I can make any promises, but we'll give it a try once again.
Father's Day 2017 Blitz (still unfinished)
July 2017 Blitz (still unfinished)

Long-lead-time item procurement has begun, and I'll be ensuring that all needed parts and paints are on hand for the 5pm 11/17/17 kickoff.  Having just struggled through completing the Sword kit of the Beech Staggerwing, I can assure you that (despite the success of last year's Eduard Hellcat) no Eastern European kits are candidates for this year's build.


Sword Staggerwing at Cleveland Model Show-21 (Trust me, don't click on the image to blow it up. You'll be disappointed.  After all, no one looks good in cell phone pics under gymnasium lighting)


I will therefore take the easy way out and turn to the Japanese for the blitz kit this year, having gone with American, Italian, and Czech model in prior years.
Williams Bros. Northrop Gamma.  The Inaugural Thanksgiving Blitz Build - 2014

Italeri F4U-7 - 2015

Eduard Hellcat FR.II - 2016

The reveal, will be - as always - a surprise.  But hints are a part of the game, so the final contenders this year are big, robust, and green vs. small, delicate, and pink.   Dark horses have made late challenges in years past, of course, and so some - as yet unrecognized - contenders may still be in the running just outside my peripheral vision.

Since this blog is new since the last Thanksgiving, I need to poll the audience.  Shall I use e-mail blasts to share progress as in years past? Or should I keep things captive here, and depend on the subscriber notifications to let y'all know what's happening?  Let me know in the comments here or via e-mail.

And keep your eyes out for storm clouds on the horizon...

Comments

  1. Not sure how often you send out updates because I have not been privy to a blitz build before (other than interrupting your Father's Day build) but if they include pictures of "the boys" I am happy to receive them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How the Kamado saved Christmas.

I'm gonna blame the medications

When the muse calls...