The shelf of doom

Every fall the Huntsville Plastic Modelers Society hosts a model show and competition.  There are a couple of twists this year.

First, because of conflicts over the space, they were forced to move the show to the last weekend of August.  Now those of you familiar with Alabama will know that August is NOT fall here, especially so when Crimson Tide football does not begin until September.  (I'll have to check to be sure, but I believe our Fall is legislated to officially begin four hours prior to the opening kickoff of the first game in the University of Alabama's football schedule).

Second, in a break from past years and most shows, the folks at HPMS are not offering any special theme awards this year.  Last year, upon the 40th anniversary of the show, they had a special award for models first kitted before 1976.  I brought some real clunkers, including a DeHavilland Sea Venom and a pair of P-47s, all originally from Frog molds.

Since there is no show theme this year, I felt had to create my own.  I decided to go with "Shelf of Doom" as my theme.  This gives me the motivation to focus on models that I have started, but for any number of reasons have abandoned.

Three candidates came quickly to mind:

The oldest is a resurrection of a project from 5 years ago.  Back in 2012 my club had a "build the same kit" challenge based on the ¡GASP! 1/48 Tamiya P-47.  I got to the point of having decals on it before I ran out of gas.  Almost no one else in the club finished theirs either.  (The Divine Scale Society has a much better track record on group builds)  I sense that this one bears a strange semblance to something I've done before...

I will literally have to shake the dust and maybe even a few cobwebs off of this one to get it done. Let's hope I can still find all the pieces.

Next up, in a more comfortable scale, is a continuation of my Corsair series, with an Italeri AU-1. It will be marked up for USMC AES-12 at Quantico in 1956.  This is the very last paint scheme for Corsairs in US service.
I actually did get some homemade decals on this one before the 2016 IPMS Nationals, but didn't get it done in time for that show.  Or our own show in April this year.

This next one will be a bit harder, but mostly because it scares me.  I have the Special Hobby F2G Super Corsair all dressed up in red, but it needs decals.  White decals.  White decals the size of a barn door.  White decals the size of a barn door on a blood red field.  This one has also been taunting me, in fact daring me to mess up the decals, since last August.  
Wish me luck!


Comments

  1. 1. Glad to see you blogging. Great way to keep up on your progress and helps eliminate email clutter, which is becoming a real problem.

    2. Wasn't aware that the HPMS show had moved time. What is the show date? I may still try to go down for it and maybe vend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The HPMS show is August 26,2017. Three weeks from today.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How the Kamado saved Christmas.

When the muse calls...

I'm gonna blame the medications